1. not guilty of a crime or offense.
"the arbitrary execution of an innocent man"
synonyms: guiltless, guilt-free, not guilty, blameless, not to blame, in the clear, unimpeachable, irreproachable, above suspicion, beyond criticism, without fault, faultless;
"a man innocent of war's cruelties"
"a street quite innocent of bookstores"
ignorant of, unaware of, unfamiliar with, untouched by; rarenescient of
"she is genuinely innocent of guile"
2. not responsible for or directly involved in an event yet suffering its consequences.
"an innocent bystander"
3. free from moral wrong; not corrupted.
"an innocent child"
4. not intended to cause harm or offense; harmless.
"an innocent mistake"
noun: innocent; plural noun: innocents
1. a pure, guileless, or naive person.
"she was an innocent compared with this man"
2. a person involved by chance in a situation, especially a victim of crime or war.
"they are prepared to kill or maim innocents in pursuit of a cause"
the young children killed by Herod after the birth of Jesus (Matt. 2:16).
plural noun: Innocents; plural noun: the Innocents